SEND Information Report

Where can I find the SEND policy?

Holy Cross Catholic School SEND Policy can be found here.

What is the local authority’s ‘local offer’ and where is it published?

The ‘local offer’ is a website that provides information about hundreds of service providers for children and young people with SEND in Leicester City. It can be found at here. On the website you can:
• Search for services from a range of local agencies including education, health and social care
• Find out more about SEND reforms

What does ‘special educational needs and disabilities’ (SEND) mean?

Children with ‘special educational needs or disabilities’ (SEND) have difficulties or disabilities that make it harder for them to learn than most children of the same age. These children may need extra help or different help than that given to other children of the same age.

Children with SEND may need extra help because of a range of needs, such as in:

  • Thinking and learning
  • Physical or sensory difficulties
  • Emotional and social difficulties
  • Speech, language and communication difficulties

Many children will have SEND of some kind at some time during their education. Schools can help most children overcome their barriers to leaning quickly and easily, but a few children will need extra help for some or all of their time in school.  A child with SEND may have difficulties with the some of the following examples:

  • All of the work in school
  • Reading, writing, number work or understanding information
  • Expressing themselves or understanding what others are saying
  • Making friends or relating to adults
  • Behaving properly in school
  • Organising themselves
  • Some kind of sensory or physical needs which may affect them in school.

How many pupils are on the SEND register at Holy Cross?

The SEND register is regularly reviewed and updated. There are currently 88 pupils on the SEND register.

How many statements/EHCs are there?

There are currently 7 children with EHCPs at Holy Cross with a few others currently undergoing statutory assessment.

What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs.

You can always make an appointment to talk to your class teacher if you have any concerns. Working together with your child’s teachers will often help to sort out worries and problems. You can also make an appointment to talk to our teacher responsible for special educational needs, Mrs Sebastian (the SENCo). You will be able to talk over your concerns and find out what the school thinks. The SENCo will be able to explain what happens next.

What does the school do if they think my child may have SEND?

We first assess your child’s needs and their progress, and look at what is happening in the classroom. We then put additional support in place to meet their needs. If they are still struggling to make progress with this additional support, then we would arrange to meet with you to discuss what else we can do to support your child. This might involve additional interventions at school or referring your child to an external agency to ask for their advice on meeting your child’s needs.

How does the school know if children need extra help?

Every child’s progress is monitored and measured accurately throughout the year in reading, writing and maths. If we have any concerns about the progress your child is making, your child’s class teacher will discuss this with you. Following this discussion, we will make a decision about how we can support your child more effectively.

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child will receive?

Decisions about the support your child will receive are determined by a four part cycle – assess, plan, do and review. Your child’s needs and their desired outcomes are at the heart of this cycle.

  • Assess : Your child’s needs will be assessed by their class teacher, and if necessary the SENCo and external professionals. You and your child will have the opportunity to meet with the class teacher and/or SENCo to share your views on their needs and their barriers to learning.
  • Plan: The class teacher and SENCo, in consultation with you and your child, will plan how the child can be supported to work towards the parent and child’s desired outcomes.
  • Do: The agreed support is put into place and monitored.
  • Review : We will look at whether or not the support has been effective in meeting the child’s needs, and decide whether or not more support is needed.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

All children at Holy Cross receive excellent teaching in the classroom, adapted to meet the needs of individual pupils. This is also known as Quality First Teaching.
If a child has been identified as having special educational needs or disabilities, teachers may also:

  • Use different resources to support their learning
  • Provide in class support for small groups with a teaching assistant
  • Set your child individual targets and suggest strategies that will be put in place to help them make progress in their learning.

How will the school support my child?

Sometimes children need additional provision in groups or 1:1 with a teacher or teaching assistant, in order to meet their needs. This teaching would have specific targets and would be closely monitored to check the children are making progress. The following interventions are available at Holy Cross Primary School:

  • Cognition and Learning Speech, Language and Communication Social, Emotional and Mental Health Physical and Sensory
  • BRWP (reading and writing)
  • Precision Teaching
  • Catch up Numeracy
  • First Class@Number
  • Fluency Builder
  • Spelling Tutor
  • Funtime
  • Play Interaction
  • Language for Thinking
  • Colourful Semantics
  • Let’s Talk
  • Talk Boost
  • Individual SALT programmes Meet and Greets
  • Taming the Anger Gremlin
  • Taming the Anxiety Gremlin
  • Play Therapy
  • Individual work with the pupil wellbeing lead OT Motor Skills Programme

Alongside these standard programmes, we also offer bespoke programmes for individual or small groups of children, based on their needs. These programmes are closely monitored and your child’s progress reviewed, to ensure that they are meeting your child’s needs.

Who can the school contact if they need extra support or advice for helping my child?

A few children may have specific barriers to their learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups, and may need extra specialist support from a professional outside of school.
This could be:

  • Local Authority central services such as the Learning, Communication and Interaction (LCI) team
  • Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) service
  • Educational Psychology Services

If you, your child’s teacher or the SENCo have identified your child as needing extra specialist support, the following procedure is followed:

  • You would be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.
  • You may be asked to give your permission to the school to refer your child to a specialist service.

This will help the school better understand your child’s particular needs and be able to support their learning in school. The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:

  • Making changes to the way your child is taught in class
  • Support to set better targets
  • A programme of work to use in school
  • A group set up by the professional and then run by the school staff
  • Working directly with outside professionals

The specialist services accessed by the school include:
• Early Years Support Team
• Learning, Communication and Interaction Team
• Social, Emotional and Mental Health Team
• Educational Psychology Team
• Speech and Language Therapists
• School Nurse
• Hearing Impairment Team
• Visual Impairment Team
• Health Visitor
• GP
• Paediatricians
• Physiotherapists
• Occupational Therapists
• Social Workers

What is an Education and Health Care Plan (EHCP)?

A few children have an Education, Health and Care Plan. This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex or lifelong. This means that your child needs a high level of individual or small group teaching support which cannot be provided from the school budget. Usually your child will also need specialist support from a professional outside the school.
For your child, this would mean:

  • The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.
  • After the school has sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the support they provide.
  • After reports have all been sent in, the Local Authority will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong and that they need more individualised support in school to make good progress. If this is the case they will write an Education and Health Care Plan. If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the support at SEND Support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.
  • The Education, Health and Care Plan will outline the number of hours of individual / small group support your child will receive from the LA, how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long term goals for your child.

How will both you and I know how my child is doing in their learning and how will you help me to support my child’s learning?

Every child’s progress is measured accurately throughout the year in reading, writing and mathematics. If we have any concerns about the progress your child is making, your child’s class teacher will talk to you about whether you have any concerns and will discuss things that can be done to help.

Three times a year, you will be invited to meet your child’s class teacher, where you can discuss how they are doing in their learning, what their next steps are and how you can support them at home.
If your child has special educational needs or disabilities, they may also be set specific targets to work on each term to help them to make progress in their learning.

How will the school evaluate the effectiveness of provision for my child?

Your child will be assessed at the start and the end of any intervention they are receiving so that the effectiveness of that intervention can be measured and monitored. This information is recorded in a school provision map. Class-based provision for children is monitored by the SENCo, the Assistant Head and the Head Teacher, through learning walks, observations and pupil interviews.

What support will there be for my child’s overall wellbeing?

Your child’s class teacher is responsible for ensuring the well-being of children in their class. They are the first point of contact for your child and they know your child well. Class teachers and teaching assistants have a lot of strategies they can use to ensure that every child feels confident, secure and safe. Your child is encouraged to come and talk to an adult they trust if they are worried or concerned about anything.
At Key Stage 1 children can put their name in the ‘listening box’ to indicate to the adults in their classroom that they need to talk to someone. All children in Key Stage 2 have a ‘think book’ where they can write to the class teacher about anything that they are upset or concerned about including problems they have had in the playground.

Children with SEND are monitored closely so that we are familiar with their needs and the aspects of the school day that they may find difficult. Some children may have a ‘meet and greet’ start to the day with a familiar adult, or a buddy system in place in or out of the classroom. Some children may attend lunch club, to support their social, emotional and behavioural difficulties as well as to practise specific skills.
Children can also receive support from our Pupil Well-being Lead, Mrs Neville.

What training are the staff supporting children with SEND had or are having?

All school staff receive basic training on how to support children with more common SEND learning issues. In addition to this, the school also has staff trained in the following areas:

SENCO Mrs A Sebastian:

– National Award for Special Educational Needs Coordination
– Autism Education Training level 2 and level 3
– Inference Training
– Mastery in Maths for children with SEND

Support Staff:
• Speech and Language
• Catch up Numeracy
• Funtime
• Positive Language
• Autism Education Trust Level 1
• Let’s Talk
• Team Teach
• Colourful Semantics
• Precision Teaching
• Play Interaction

We monitor teaching and learning to identify any training needs staff have, and ensure that they receive advice and training to meet the needs of the children they work with.

How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

Children with SEND are closely monitored and when a need is identified, the class teacher and SENCo work together to identify resources available to meet their needs.
The SENCo and the Head teacher monitor the allocation of resources across the school through the school provision map, identifying areas of need and support provided in each year group.
When making a decision about the support a child receives, the school will also take the following criteria into account:
• School must be able to afford the support through its delegated budget
• Amount of support is dependent upon which interventions are being used for each child.

How accessible is the school environment?

Holy Cross continues to improve its access and has the following special facilities:
• Wheelchair access to the front entrance
• A disabled toilet.

Equipment and resources are accessible to all children regardless of their needs.
We have an inclusive policy whereby all children are expected to join in all activities in and out of school. We will provide the necessary support to ensure that this is successful. After school provision, activities outside the classroom and school trips are accessible to all children including those with SEND.

How will the school prepare and support my child to join the school, transfer to a new setting or the next stage of education and life?

When children start in Nursery or Reception visits are carried out to any previous settings to learn more about individual children and to ensure transfer to our school is as smooth as possible. Parents and children are invited to attend our induction programme in the summer term before they start school in September. Parents are then invited to a baseline meeting where they share their knowledge of the child in the home setting that can inform the baseline assessments that are made in school.

When children transfer from one class to another, or move to another school, we ensure:

  • Transfer of all written records, including a full history of information collated about your child.
  • They have opportunities to visit their new classroom/school and meet their new teacher/teachers.
  • If necessary, additional individual arrangements are put in place to ensure a seamless move.

How is my child involved in making decisions about their provision?

Children are consulted at the start of the year about what they would like to achieve that year and how they think they could do it. They are consulted at the end of the year to review their progress, discuss what has worked well for them and what they would like more help with. Throughout the year, the child’s teacher and the SENCo have ongoing discussions with the child about their progress, needs and what is helping them with their learning.

How are parents involved? How can I be involved?

Parents are consulted about their child’s progress and the provision they are receiving every term.
The school runs ‘Family Learning’ sessions at school, where parents can come and learn about how to support their children’s reading or phonics or maths etc. Parents have the opportunity to volunteer as a helper on some class trips. Parents are asked to fill out questionnaires to find out their views on various aspects of the school. There is a ‘suggestion box’ at every parents evening, for parents to share ideas or concerns.

What do I do if I have a complaint?

If you have a complaint relating to SEND, you should first speak to the Head Teacher. The chair of governors may be involved if necessary. If your complaint is unresolved, the Local Authority may be involved.

Who can I contact for further information?

SENCo: Ann Sebastian

Head Teacher: Gail Neill

Tel: 0116 2833135

SENDIASS (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information, Advice and Support)
0116 25757027

Holy Cross Catholic Primary School - Leicester