Holy Cross School has a long history. It was founded by the Dominican Fathers in 1824, having begun informally in 1817.
Next to Holy Cross Church on Wellington Street, a school was started in St. Clement’s Hall. It flourished with voluntary teachers and pupils until 1875.
At this time, it was decreed that all children must go to school. By 1886, the school was so overcrowded that a large new building was imperative.
This was built on the New Walk, opposite the Priory. Holy Cross School remained in this building until 1966.
The Dominicans decided that a magnificent new Holy Cross School should arise on a spacious site – “a school both intimate in its care for each individual child and Catholic in its culture.”
The new school was built on the fringe of the city on Stonesby Avenue, and was officially opened and blessed by the Right Reverend Edward Ellis, Bishop of Nottingham, on 26th September 1967. Its pupils travelled from Evington, Highfields, New Parks, Saffron Lane, Eyres Monsell and Wigston and even rural areas.
Holy Cross Catholic Primary School on Stonesby Avenue recently celebrated its Golden Jubilee Year. Many of its pupils have parents or grandparents who also attended the school.
It continues to serve the Catholic community, and welcomes all those who would like a Catholic education for their children.